Clifton & Durdham Downs
In 1676 the Society acquired the Manor of Clifton, then a rural estate, which included 220 acres of Clifton Down bordering the Avon Gorge.
Almost 200 years later the neighbouring Manor of Henbury, which included Durdham Down, came on the market. The Society agreed with the Corporation of Bristol that if the Corporation would buy this land then, the Society would join with the Corporation in dedicating 440 acres for the use and enjoyment of the citizens of Bristol in perpetuity.
Under the provisions of the Clifton and Durdham Downs Act 1861 the Downs are still administered by a Downs Committee appointed in equal numbers by the City Council and the Merchant Venturers.